Monday, January 17, 2011

El Paso Puzzler 2011

In the Fall of 2010, I had been talking to several mountain bikers that I know and had heard about the Puzzler from the media coverage. Everyone said it was a very hard event to even complete. I decided to give it a shot to strengthen my biking skills with an eye to the Nice Mountains in the Summer at Ironman France. I bought a used but nearly new Kona 29r at the local bike shop that was a model from the previous year. I hit the trails in El Paso and found out that mountain biking is a whole different deal. Specially here with the rocks and lose gravel. I have fallen so many times in training I could even count. I was as ready as I was going to be. Mind you I had 3 months of training, never having ridden a mountain bike. I was a Beginner in the truest sense.

The El Paso Puzzler now its 4th year is billed as the "Toughest Mountain Bike Race in Texas" The event took place on January 16, 2011 at the Bowen Ranch in Far NorthEast El Paso. The race course goes over the Franklin Mountains inside the State Park and has a 50 mile and 35 mile event. For more info check out http://www.elpasopuzzler.com/ they have the course outline plus the Borderland Mountain Bike Association http://bmba.wordpress.com/ has more trails info.
I arrived in the AM of the event, signed in and turned in my special needs bags for mile 19 and mile 26. I included extra water, gatorade, gu, and powerbars. I also left a gatorade bottle at the 7 mile point which was at the starting line. A little after 800 am the 50 milers started followed by the 35 milers. Initially the jeep road was wide and the field spread out as we headed out towards Sotol Canyon. This section of trail is along the side of the mountain and is a little technical with some rocks and vegetation that protrudes into the single tract trail. I was excited and probably going to hard which led to my first fall of the race. Unfortunately, I landed on a cactus and spent the next few minutes picking off needles off my rear. THIS was mile 3... So not a good beginning. Further down, I lost my balance as I stopped because someone ahead of me had stopped and I fell a second time down the side of the mountain for a few feet. At this point I am wondering if I will finish in one piece or ever finish at all.
After the second fall, I seemed to slow down and pace myself better. I got to Shockrock and went down slowly and in a controlled manner because as the name suggests, its a rocky jeep trail. Next came the turn to Mad Cow, there Brent S. one of the race co-directors provided encouragement to the riders. Mad Cow is a fast twisting downhill back to Bowen Ranch where we had started. There I replenished my Gatorade bottle and had a Gu, 55 minutes and 7 miles were now behind me. Next came the Lazy Cow trail which is a slight uphill twisting trail then downhill on a nice Tin Mine Road towards Cardiac Hill. As the name implies it is a tough hill which I and everyone else around me was walking. Some downhill single tract and more uphill led us to Mule Shoe. This is the most technical part of the race with some large boulders so I walked most of it to avoid further injury. Next we were in the serious climb to Mundy's gap. The road goes to an elevation of 6000 feet with several switchbacks. It is a jeep trail and not too technical but the loose rock makes it hard to get traction. At the top of Mundy's gap is an incredible view of Northeast El Paso and this is where I stopped to replenish my nutrition. The way down is very steep and the riding surface not the best for this beginner. Next came the worst part in my view of the course which was the rock farm that makes the trail down to the Tom Mayes Unit of the Franklin Mountain State Park. I started walking while carrying the bike and the slowly pushing the bike because I was worried about twisting my ankle. As I was getting to the parking lot, I saw Blanca and the kids on the side of the trail and was excited to see them out there supporting me.

Out in the parking lot there was a stretch of paved road to the mile 19 aide station. I stopped to replenish my water in my camel back, gatorade, and gu. Said goodby to the kids and went off to Lower Sunset Trail. This section has some hills and technical sections but is not too hard. Maybe I was complacent but that is where I had my 3rd fall. I landed on a hard rock, no cactus this time but fortunately just got a scrape on my elbow and hand. At that point I realized I had left my gloves at the aide station! Next came the mile 26 aide station where I was happy not to get cut off the race. The cut off time was 2:30 pm and I arrived at 1:50 pm, so I was safe to finish the "race". The last hard climb was next which is called Hitt Cayon. This is to get us back over the mountains to the Northeast. A fairly new section built by volunteers from the Borderland Mountain Bike Association (BMBA), it is pretty hard and so I walked most of it.
That is where I ran into Fernanda, a young woman who looked to be in her 20's. I asked her how old she was and she told me she was 13 years old! Amazing! She was a very strong rider and needless to say very mature for her age. I decided to ride with her as were going about the same pace and to make sure she stayed OK as there was nobody around this canyon. Call it my fatherly instinct, kicked in as well. Once out of the canyon the trail turns nice downhill back to Bowen Ranch. While heading back I ran into Fernanda's father and he was relieved to know that his daughter was safe and only a few minutes behind me. Further down I saw Blanca and the kids again on the trail and it was so emotional for me I got a little teary. I continued to the finish tent having finished in 7:54:33. I placed 39 out of 42 men who finished the 35 mile loop and 5 men did not finish.


I was happy to have completed the race and have a great respect for all the racers with their incredible finishing times in both the 35 and 50 mile loop. However, I have decided that this will be my first and last mountain bike race. The risks that someone with my limited skill and experience takes is too great to sustain a serious injury. I was fortunate that with all the falls in training and during the event that I came away with only bumps, bruises, and cactus needles. (some still buried deep inside). I have to admit, however, that it is a lot of fun to mountain bike and will encourage my children to have a try at it if they like and will join them on EASY, not Too Technical trails.
Next challenge is the Mount Taylor Quadrathalon on Feb 19. During this next event, I bike, run, cross country ski, and snow shoe up a mountain and back. I will do a report on that next time.

1 comment:

dah-veh' said...

Great job on the race. Don't be too timid about future races. This one is extreme. If you can handle this one, you're pretty solid. :-)

Again, congrats!

Ride Hard / Have Fun

DaveH