Monday, May 31, 2010

One month to go...

Over the Memorial Day weekend I have been able to complete a good series of workouts in anticipation of the CDA Ironman on June 27. The weather conditions here in El Paso have gotten more challenging with the heat, but that is the price for the mild winters we have here. On Saturday, I rode out to Las Cruces on the I10 "rollers" and back to the Anthony Gap which has an elvation of 4400 feeet and then over the Transmountain pass which is 5200 feet. That last bit was tough as by then the temp was over 100 and there was a headwind going up the mountain. The total distance covered was 85 miles, and it took me 5:40 including several stops to buy Poweraide along the way (2 stops). Sunday, was a long run day and I went out from the house to Artcraft, to McNutt, and back on Sundland Park for a 20 mile run in the heat. Total time was 4:34. Had to really push the fluids with several stops in convenience stores along the way. There are a few hills on this course but it gave me a feel for how tiring it can be even to maintain a 12 minute mile pace. On Monday, Memorial Day, I swam at the Country Club for 1.2 miles (46 min) then got out of the pool, had a sip of water, and back again for an additional 1.2 miles. The total time was 1:35. Not too bad, I feel it was good to do once at least being that is the longest distance I have ever swam at one time.
Overall, with 4 weeks to go feeling pretty good about the training I have been able to put in. Next Sunday is the last race simulation and then I will taper with 2 weeks to go...

No comments: