Monday, May 10, 2010

Ironman race simulation, six weeks to go...

As prescribed by the Endurance Nation coaches (more at http://www.endurancenation.eu/ ), I scheduled my Ironman race simulation for Sunday, May 9th. I set up the gear in the car and planned to set up a transition in the car the pool. My first hiccup of the day happened before I started when I found out I had a flat tire. Worse yet, it was in my car. It took me 45 min to change the tire since I had never changed the tire in this car and had to read the instructions to figure out where everything was.
When I finally got out to the pool, was able to swim for 30 min, estimate 1500 yards. Got on the bike and went 30 miles easy (15mph) with focus on hydration and nutrition. Went 25 miles out and back, stopping in La Mesa for more food and drink. On the way back, picked up the pace but by then the headwinds were starting up. After 50 miles, got more food and drink from the car and started the 2nd loop. Again, more wind, heat, and crazy motorcycle riders on Hwy 28. Stopped again in La Mesa and headed back to complete 100 miles total. At mile 94 had the obligatory flat on the bike and was able to change it pretty quickly.
At the car, transitioned into the run and went 6 difficult miles with the afternoon heat and dehydration slowed me down to 12 minute miles. Total time was 8'30" including transitions which made for a very long day. I got a nice sunburn to show for it as I forgot the sunblock.

No comments: